12 April 2007

not a good evening

can I just complain? This evening I saw three days worth of studio work go into the trash, and then I proceeded to slice open my finger--so I'm having a bit of trouble typing like normal.

I spent the last three days working on building a model of my project. The short story is that I was casting quikcrete (concrete) and trying to get it to do something it was never intended to do: intricate small scale stuff. Quikcrete is for patching cracks in your driveway--not a model of my building at 1/16"=1'-0".

So, now I get to go into studio tomorrow and have nothing to show for myself except a big band-aid on my right index finger. And my final studio review is in 10 days. Not exactly the best time to be a) losing days worth of work and b) slicing my hands open when there is still model building left to do.

Can I just surrender now? I'm waving the white flag--you win, Architecture. I can't do it anymore.

... On the bright side, take a look at the graduation countdown to the right--VERY QUICKLY APPROACHING!

...and, it could have been my left index finger...

7 comments:

Ldani said...

Oh! Poor Erin, but you can make it; you're so close!

gtnissanfan said...

At least when the concrete triumphed, you got the battle scar to prove you fought well! That's gotta be with a few points, doesn't it?

Elizabeth said...

I'm sorry Erin! What's your next material of choice?

Erin said...

you're right, gtnissanfan, at least there is some glory in the battle scar.

I'm trying to decide one of two paths: either some kind of epoxy resin--but I've never worked with it, so it could prove disatrous as well; the other option is some kind of cardboard (not as cool, but a solid bet--no surprises here).

we'll see how it goes...

j.j. said...

I'm sorry for the frustration. I remember the final countdown quite well. Hang in there...it's almost over!!

gtnissanfan said...

Epoxy resin sounds messy. The times I've seen it used it's like dealing with maple syrup. But maybe there's a special Architecture kind that behaves well. Good luck either way.

Erin said...

material update:
the new material of choice is plaster of paris.

this afternoon the ordeal was reinacted for fellow studio friends, and we proceeded to have a pow wow and talk through all of my options. the group consensus was to salvage and reuse my formwork, and try tinting the plaster of paris to make it look grey concrete-color.

we'll see how it goes in the morning...