30 August 2007

work work work

some architecture humor:


It seems I've gotten a few questions lately about how work is going, so I thought I'd just blog an update about it here. All in all, work is truly good. I am enjoying the fact that I know more (I actually learned stuff in grad school) and I have more responsibility on projects. I've moved from the realm of the draftsperson--CAD monkey, as we affectionately called them while in school (see above)--to the realm of people who get to use their brains and design skills and get paid for it :)

Most recently, our CEO and I have been working on a project together, a dormitory house for a local university. It's going in a neighborhood close to campus, that has many old houses in it. The current house on the lot was built in the 30's (we guesstimate) but it terribly rundown and in disrepair now. This week, I've been working on designing the elevations (what the building will look like from the outside) and everything that I've done the boss-man has approved of, and we are feeding off each other to get the design complete. It's been a lot of fun to see decisions I make find their way onto paper, and will eventually find their way onto a real building. VERY cool.

What I am most looking forward to is seeing some of the projects that I've been working on all summer start construction. That, I would have to say, is the greatest part about my job.

Well, its off to the mountains tomorrow after work for Labor Day weekend--hopefully I'll remember to take some pictures while I'm there! Now, if I could just start packing...

2 comments:

JM said...

Have fun in TN!

jennjenn said...

Hey Erin... your cartoon cracked me up. I printed it for the architects upstairs. I think I heard them literally fall out of their chair. They would have posted it except for the fear of being fired! That cartoon sums up most of their projects here!