01 August 2007

the car that had 9 lives

Well, it happened today friends. My car once again died, and left me stranded on a busy traffic corridor. If I remember correctly, this makes the fourth time its quit mid-route somewhere. (the previous three were on interstates!) This morning on the way to work, it decides to die (fortunately at a stop light) but in the center lane of a major traffic corridor between the burbs and downtown. NOT GOOD! Fortunately, after calling Mom and Dad to come rescue me, (and several honking motorists--seriously, like I was camping out there just for kicks!) two police officers appear out of nowhere and push me through the intersection and into the bp parking lot. Where I wait for the parentals and the tow truck, passing my time next to the transient worker (on foot) who has decided to take up residence two parking spaces over. That was a fun 20 minutes!

The car gets towed, and I get a call from the repairman a few hours later, telling me it is going to cost upwards of $800 to fix. EVEN MORE NOT GOOD!

Now, I must decide the fate of my little car. How many more lives does it have in it? How many more times must I be stranded on the side (or the middle of) the road?

I have known for the last couple of years that it won't last forever, I was just hoping to get a little more life out of it.

I just thank God that I was not hurt (someone could have easily rear-ended me, for sure), and I was able to get to work, and that I have parents who come to my rescue and lend me their cars!

Oh, decisions!

4 comments:

JM said...

No fun! But you know...a new car couple be lots of fun!

Ldani said...

Oh no! But glad you weren't hurt. It never ceases to amaze be how self centered and rude people can be. You were obviously stopped in the middle of the road just to slow them down only their honking horns could get you going again.

Lawrence said...

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago in the in-laws' Blazer. I was going to Lowe's and it died on me on a main road. Fortunately it was early on a Saturday and there was very little traffic. I stood on the side of the road awhile waiting for a friend to come pull it back the house, and eventually a friendly guy (probably in his late 50's) stopped and helped me push it out of the turn lane into a parking lot. I was glad I had the cell phone with me so I could call for assistance.

So this transient worker just comes over and decides to hang out near you? Were you in the car? If you weren't, it might've been good to get in and lock the doors or else go inside the store (if you had a clear path).

I'm glad it all turned out okay.

Erin said...

He had walked by previously and asked if I had run out of gas--I said no, but that my father was on the way. At which point I got in the car and stayed inside :) He then came back, but did keep his distance, and I stayed in the car!

i'm sorry you had a similar experience. thank the Lord for cell phones in emergencies!