30 October 2007

civic duties part II

I did report today, and spent all morning in the courtroom, but I didn't get selected or even questioned for the case, in which the charges were theft and aggravated assault. One of the defense attorneys I thought I recognized, and then when he was introduced, I realized that he has a daughter my age that danced with me at ballet for years! I remember now that her dad was a lawyer, but I hadn't realized at the time that he was a public defender.

I'm very thankful that I didn't have to go on Monday--the case that was scheduled for then was a murder case. It was postponed because one of the witnesses (who resides a few states away) was ignoring his subpoena, so they were having to send the police to round him up.

I found it interesting that the judge talked about all of the crime dramas and court t.v. shows that are on now, and how we would have to put aside all our notions of how things are supposed to go, because this was real life, not a t.v. show.

I have to go tomorrow as well, because the case from today would only take one day, so a new one will start tomorrow. When you get selected for jury duty, they actually have you for the whole week. So, we'll see how tomorrow goes!

2 comments:

Ldani said...

So how did day 2 go?

Erin said...

day 2: I got selected to the panel, and they ask you a bunch of questions to determine who they want on the jury. I didn't get picked, so I guess my answers weren't what they were looking for. (Nevermind that I knew the defense attorney) That was the end of my duties for this time around.